Thursday 16 February 2012

A Girls' Valentine (Pt 2): Brownie Mango Trifle with Gerard Butler


Not the best photo, but we were in a hurry to eat these puppies up.

A Girl's Valentine Part II

Featuring: Black Bean Brownie and Mango Whipped Cream Trifle. And Gerard Butler. 

For the longest time, I was reluctant to try black bean brownies. I mean, black beans in brownies? I have tried my best to avoid this not-so-ordinary combination, I even went to the extent of whipping up 7 egg whites to make gluten-free brownies at 7am one time. Because really, BLACK BEANS! But now I know better. I have matured, in a black bean brownie sort of sense. 

These brownies are... refreshing. The doctor I work for tried it without the knowledge and said it's really good. He's a 6 foot tall hockey-playing guy. They are fudgey but light. Chocolatey and healthy. Satisfying and leaves you wanting for more. They are also very freezable! I have a batch in my freezer as we speak. Oh, they are also the simplest thing you can make! No chance of messing up here, seriously, not even my bake-challenged sister can mess up. 

Along with the brownie, I decided to pair it with a nice mango whipped cream. The whipped cream is pillowy, not super set, solid whipped cream, but pillowy and light. I was also hand whipping. Really should invest in a hand beater. Although it is very satisfying to make your own whipped cream. Makes you work off the calories too. Jenny also suggested that this can be served with just mango puree, which would make this totally healthy and still so good. 

BLACK BEAN BROWNIES
Adapted from http://blogs.babble.com/family-kitchen/2011/01/21/gluten-freeblack-bean-brownies/
Raw egg and black bean anyone?
1 540mL (19oz) can black beans
2 eggs
1/3 cup melted butter
1/3 cup cocoa powder
1/4 cup white sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar
2 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp salt

1. Preheat oven to 350F
2. Drain and wash the black beans
3. Throw everything in a blender and blend until smooth
4. Pour into a greased 8"x8" pan and bake for 25 min
5. Eat it while it's hot! Nothing like spooning it right out of the hot pan!
Photo from batch 1- oh so good!

MANGO WHIPPED CREAM- pillowy style
So smooth, so tastey!
1 cup defrosted mango (or fresh if you have it)
1 cup whipping cream
3 tbsp icing sugar

1. Puree the mango
2. Add half the whipped cream in with the mango to blend- this makes it easier for the rest of it to whip up
3. Slowly mix icing sugar into whipping cream
4. Beat everything up until soft peaks form

THE TRIFLE
In the works!
Black bean brownie
Mango whipped cream
Strawberries

1. Spoon small bite-sized pieces of brownie into a glass for 1 layer
2. Spoon in mango whipped cream
3. Layer on chopped strawberries
4. Brownie pieces
5. Mango whipped cream
6. Strawberries
7. Brownie
....
I think you get the point.

Jenny brought cherry-creme chocolates. They make a great topping! And of course, we enjoyed these alongside PS I Love You and a beautiful Gerard Butler.


Behind the scene...
My blender is too small, I had to blend in batches then mix.

1 comment:

  1. OMG!! The dessert looks SOOOOOO good! I want some now!

    ReplyDelete